Welcome to COP
We Provide Outdoor Adventure Through a Social Learn+Do Approach
Founded in 1937 to promote greater understanding of the world and its people by providing low-cost recreational and educational travel, today we continue our devotion to noncompetitive outdoor recreation and world travel.
Columbus Outdoor Pursuits is best known for its bicycle mega-tours -
and for the more independent rider...
* Provide outdoor recreation education to the public, including safety and technique
* Organize and lead outdoor trips
* Train our own outdoor leaders
* Purchase and maintain a limited amount of equipment for use in our programs and activities
* Define outdoor recreation as primarily non-competitive, self-propelled activities such as backpacking, bicycling, kayaking, etc.”
Comprehensive Trip Program
The Columbus Outdoor Pursuits trip program includes: backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, hiking, rock climbing, running, and a variety of winter activities.
During the 12-month period from July 2010 to June 2011, we offered 737 day trips, 49 weekend trips, and 12 extended trips. In addition, we offered monthly program meetings and activity planning meetings. We had 33,574 participant days during this period.
- Leadership Training
- Red Cross First Aid & CPR
- Wilderness First Aid
- Wilderness First Responder
- GOBA Safety and Interpretive Programs
- Rockclimbing Orientation
- Beginning Backpack School
- Map & Compass Class
- Quickstart Kayak
- Family Kayak
- Kayak Schools (Levels I, II, and III)
- Raft School
- Sea Kayak Rescue
- Informal Instruction on All Trips
Columbus Outdoor Pursuits is primarily, a volunteer based organization, to help minimizing costs of activities. Members are encouraged to take leadership training and lead or assist in organizing trips. Some special events help support the organization while others raise funds for philanthropic programs of the organization.
Columbus Outdoor Pursuits has 501(c)(3) status. Contributions are tax deductible.